Magnesium is an essential mineral that plays a role in over 300 different biochemical reactions in the body. Getting enough magnesium ensures your body can carry out crucial functions like muscle contractions, nerve impulse transmissions, energy production, blood pressure regulation, blood sugar control, and more.
However, studies suggest that a significant portion of the population does not get enough magnesium from dietary sources alone. This makes supplementation an important option for improving magnesium status. Magnesium glycinate gummies have become one of the most popular forms of magnesium supplements. Keep reading to learn all about the benefits of taking magnesium glycinate gummy supplements.
What is Magnesium?
Magnesium is a mineral found naturally in many foods and is also present in water. It is considered an essential nutrient, meaning we must obtain it from our diet.
Some of the magnesium’s key roles include:
- Regulating muscle and nerve function
- Supporting energy metabolism
- Maintaining normal heartbeat rhythm
- Synthesizing DNA, RNA, and proteins
- Helping build bone health
- Regulating blood glucose levels
Consuming adequate magnesium is necessary for overall health. It enables hundreds of vital physiological processes.
Magnesium Deficiency is Common
Although magnesium is ubiquitous in foods, many people still do not get enough from diet alone. It’s estimated that up to half Americans have a magnesium deficiency.
Certain health conditions like diabetes and gastrointestinal disorders can deplete magnesium levels and increase the risk of deficiency. Older adults are also prone to deficiency because magnesium absorption tends to decrease with age.
A long-term magnesium deficiency can contribute to chronic health problems like hypertension, osteoporosis, heart disease, anxiety, muscle cramps, and more.
That’s why supplementation is recommended for many people to prevent a deficiency.
Magnesium Glycinate Explained
Magnesium glycinate (or bis-glycinate) is a form of magnesium bound to glycine molecules.
Glycine is a non-essential amino acid that plays a role in the production of proteins. It’s also an inhibitory neurotransmitter, meaning it can have a calming effect.
The glycinate form helps transport magnesium through cell membranes. This makes magnesium glycinate one of the most bioavailable forms, with higher absorption rates compared to other kinds like magnesium oxide.
The glycine also gives magnesium glycinate superior tolerability. Some forms of magnesium like magnesium oxide tend to have a laxative effect in higher doses. Magnesium glycinate rarely causes digestive side effects.
For these reasons, magnesium glycinate is considered one of the best forms of magnesium supplementation.
Benefits of Magnesium Glycinate Gummies
Taking magnesium glycinate gummies offers many evidence-based health benefits:
1. Promotes Restful Sleep
One of the most well-studied effects of magnesium is how it impacts sleep. Magnesium plays a role in regulating the neurotransmitters involved in sleep.
Getting adequate magnesium can help you fall asleep more quickly and wake less throughout the night. It also increases time spent in deep, restorative sleep stages.
The glycinate component also aids sleep, as glycine acts directly as an inhibitory neurotransmitter.
Together, magnesium and glycine have a synergistic effect of quieting the nervous system and brain for better sleep.
2. Relieves Anxiety Symptoms
Along with promoting sleep, magnesium glycinate also reduces anxiety.
Magnesium helps regulate the hypothalamic-pituitary adrenal (HPA) axis and hormonal system involved in the stress response. Glycine also binds to receptor sites that lower anxiety.
Studies demonstrate that raising magnesium levels can significantly decrease subjective measures of anxiety. Magnesium glycinate gummies can lower stress and worry.
3. Eases Muscle Cramps and Spasms
Muscle cramps and involuntary muscle spasms can be triggered by factors like electrolyte imbalances, muscle fatigue, nerve problems, and magnesium deficiency.
Because magnesium is integral to muscle contraction and nerve transmissions, low levels are linked to painful cramps and spasms.
Magnesium glycinate helps prevent and treat cramps by restoring healthy magnesium levels in muscle tissue and regulating nerves.
4. Supports Muscle Function
You need adequate magnesium for normal muscle function. It’s required for contracting and relaxing muscle fibers.
Athletes and exercisers are often at higher risk for magnesium deficiency. Magnesium glycinate can replace depleted stores from sweating and improve muscle performance.
Magnesium also helps speed up recovery by reducing exercise-induced muscle damage.
5. Maintains Normal Blood Pressure
High blood pressure is a major risk factor for heart disease. Lifestyle measures like diet changes can help control blood pressure, and studies show magnesium supplementation also lowers high blood pressure.
Glycinate is one of the most effective forms for supporting healthy blood pressure due to its excellent bioavailability.
Magnesium helps relax blood vessels and offset factors promoting hypertension.
6. Regulates Blood Sugar
Magnesium helps control blood sugar levels primarily by increasing insulin sensitivity. It allows insulin to work more efficiently transporting glucose out of the bloodstream and into cells.
Low magnesium levels are strongly linked to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Boosting magnesium intake can significantly lower blood sugar and reduce diabetes risk.
7. Improves Energy Levels
Magnesium participates in the reactions that create cellular energy (ATP). Without adequate magnesium, energy production is impaired.
Increasing magnesium glycinate intake can boost energy, reduce fatigue, and enhance exercise performance. Magnesium also supports optimal synthesis of electrolytes like potassium which are essential for energy.
8. Supports Cognitive Health
Emerging research shows magnesium has protective effects on cognitive health. It helps slow age-related cognitive decline and may lower dementia risk.
Magnesium Glycinate vs Magnesium Oxide
Here is a comparison of magnesium glycinate vs magnesium oxide:
- Bioavailability: Magnesium glycinate has much higher bioavailability than magnesium oxide, meaning more of the elemental magnesium gets absorbed and utilized by the body. Studies show magnesium oxide has an absorption rate of around 4% compared to about 30-40% for glycinate.
- Digestive side effects: Magnesium oxide is more likely to cause diarrhea and laxative effects, especially when taken in higher doses. Magnesium glycinate is generally well-tolerated without GI issues.
- Solubility: Magnesium oxide has poor solubility, which contributes to its low absorption rate. Magnesium glycinate has excellent solubility for better absorption.
- Elemental magnesium: Magnesium oxide contains a higher percentage of elemental magnesium per dose (60% vs. 18% for glycinate). However, due to the low absorption rate, you still end up absorbing more usable magnesium from glycinate overall.
- Cost: Magnesium oxide tends to be a less expensive form than premium magnesium glycinate. However, you often have to take larger doses of magnesium oxide to compensate for the poor bioavailability.
- Uses: Magnesium glycinate is recommended for highly absorbable magnesium for health benefits. Magnesium oxide at higher doses can be used as a laxative or antacid.
In summary, magnesium glycinate is considered the superior form for boosting magnesium levels in the body for benefits like better sleep, reduced stress, muscle support, etc due to its higher absorption and bioavailability.
Magnesium glycinate in particular crosses the blood-brain barrier effectively to exert neurological benefits. Supplementing can enhance short-term memory, concentration, and learning capabilities.
Why Magnesium Glycinate Gummies are Recommended
Magnesium supplements come in many forms like pills, capsules, powders, and liquids. But gummy supplements have advantages that make them a top choice:
- Taste: For many people, magnesium glycinate gummies are the easiest and most pleasant way to take magnesium. They avoid any unpleasant metallic flavor.
- Convenience: Gummies don’t require water or mixing. They provide a hassle-free way to get your daily magnesium.
- Easy to Dose: Gummies come in smaller doses like 50mg which make it easier to meet your optimal daily magnesium intake.
- Better Absorbed: The gummy base and glycine are believed to help the magnesium absorb more efficiently than some other forms.
- Suitable for Anyone: Vegans, vegetarians, kids, and adults can all enjoy delicious magnesium gummies.
- Gluten-Free: Most gummies are made without gluten-containing ingredients.
How to Take Magnesium Glycinate Gummies
The recommended daily amount of magnesium for adults is 400mg for men and 320mg for women. This dose can be split into smaller amounts throughout the day.
Magnesium glycinate gummies are available in different strengths like 50mg or 100mg per gummy. Read the label and take the appropriate amount to meet your daily needs.
Most people can take magnesium glycinate supplements without any side effects because of their superior absorption. However, high doses may cause diarrhea, nausea, or cramping.
Talk to your doctor before supplementing, especially if you take other medications or have impaired kidney function.
Be consistent with your magnesium glycinate gummy regimen daily to keep your magnesium status optimized. You can take the gummies anytime:morning, night, or with meals.
The Bottom Line
Magnesium glycinate gummies provide an effective way to increase your magnesium levels and avoid deficiency. This form has exceptional absorption and tolerance plus targeted benefits for sleep, anxiety, muscle health, blood sugar regulation, cognition, and much more.
Gummies offer a tasty and convenient magnesium supplement option for both adults and kids alike. Adding magnesium glycinate gummies to your daily wellness regimen can promote overall health and prevent disease.
Credit : Source Post